I have been struggling a little bit to write the 2017 year end review. The basic reason is that although I made a boatload of progress on the website, it has been feeling a little bit like a job. That being said, I made significant progress on posts, visits, unique visitors and page views. Also, with the help of Yakob we released a major facelift to the look and feel of the website.
Here is a summary of the data.
However, you might notice that I don’t have the goals for those metrics in the table, which as you might guess, means that I was far away from where I was hoping to get.
The data from the web server looks really good with generally increasing numbers of visits and visitors. For the next year I want to get google analytics going again.
I copied the following text directly from my article last year called IoT Expert Year in Review 2016 and 2017 Goals
For 2017 my goals fall into three broad categories. First, I want to continue creating (hopefully) interesting, high-quality IOT engineering content [I think I did pretty well here]. To that end I would like to:
- Achieve 2x/week posts and hit 104 posts for the year. [I completed 90 posts… which in hindsight is pretty good, but didn’t meet my goal]
- Create a new video series and post 12 videos [I did not make any progress on this idea]
In addition to the new content, I would like to improve the accessibility of my website by
- Deploying a mailing list [Not Done]
- Automatically connecting to Twitter [Not Done]
- Automatically connecting to Facebook [Not Done]
- Developing a Linked-In strategy [Not Done]
- Fixing my release process to use best practices for all meta-data [Done]
such that I achieve
- 10x User Traffic (15,594 –> 69,493)
- 10x Twitter followers on @askiotexpert (50–>146)
- 10 Google keywords where www.iotexpert.com is a first page hit
Lastly, I want to update and deploy a new brand for iotexpert including logo’s, web page headers, Facebook covers, etc. [Done]
For 2018, I think that I will strive to make it more fun for myself, with the goal of publishing 1/week. I hope to create articles on:
- WICED WiFi
- WICED Bluetooth
- PSoC 6
- RTOS (Linaro, MBEDOS, Apache Newt)
I do not think that I will set specific goals for the rest of the data and we will just have to see what happens.